#309 | #217 |
Location: GACHAMI is on the western side of Kirinyaga District in the southern part of famous Mt. Kenya.
Co-operative society: The factory is under Baragwi Co-operative Society
Population: 500 persons and 200,000 coffee trees.
Altitude: 1700 – 1800 metres
Nearest town: 4km from Kianyaga Town
Soil: Rich Volcanic Sandy Soil
Flowering season: Between March and April
Harvesting Time: Between November and December
Fermentation Process: With Fresh River Water only Kaboyo River.
Drying method: Sun Dried
Cherry Production: 650 tonnes
Organization: Small-scale farmers are organized in well-managed central pulverises called coffee factories.
Growing area: Central highlands mainly at high altitude
Coffee quality: Top Kenya coffee
Story: The factory was opened for coffee processing in 1978. The peak of the famous snow capped Mt Kenya is easily visible and the Mwea rice plane gives good scenery.
Cupping Notes: Smooth and buttery with lime-like acidity and notes of vanilla, bakers chocolate and cherry tomato and a cedar finish.
The Gachami factory was opened for processing in 1978 and serves about 1,200 small producers, located in the western side of Kirinyaga District in the southern part of Mt. Kenya. The peak of the famous snow-capped Mt. Kenya is easily visible and the Mwea rice plane provides a great scenery. Fermentation at the factory is done with fresh river water and sundried on raised beds.
The Baragwi Farmers Co-op, named after the small village where it is located. It borders with Ngariama and Njuki-ini locations to the East, Kabare and Kirima locations to the West; Mt Kenya to the North and Mwea Division to the South. Rich with volcanic soil, this region is recognized for a smooth body that supports the dynamic acidity which makes Kenyan coffees so unique. The Baragwi Cooperative has more than 16,892 registered members. These members are drawn from the 12 wet mills which form the society. The society has a workforce of 137 staff members out of which 31 are female and 106 are male.
The Society’s head office is situated at Kianyaga market at the end of Kutus/Kianyaga tarmac road. The society was registered in October of 1953 to promote social economic interests of its members, processing and exporting coffee and access to better markets.